Jeanine Taylor, Partner | CFO Financial Services LLC | 1405 N. Dobson Rd., Suite #5 | Chandler, AZ 85224 | 480-641-8100



[fname], would you take a minute & leave us a REVIEW online at



Can I Ask You a Favor?


If you are a Client of mine, please call our Testimonial Hotline & give us your feedback  and what you like about our firm at:


800-609-9006 extension 4512


Thank you!

Jeanine Taylor - Partner




Other Articles

Click here to review

This Month's Feature Articles


- Last Minute Filing Tips for 2016 Tax Returns

- Should you File an Extension on your Tax Return?

- ACA Tax Facts for Individuals and Families

- Claiming the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

- Estimated Tax Payments: Q & A


Tax Tips


- Tax Tips for the Self-Employed

- Medical and Dental Expenses May Impact Your Taxes

- Cut your Tax Bill with Home Energy Credits

- Tax Benefits for Parents

- IRAs and your 2016 Tax Return







IRAs And Your 2016 Tax Return


[fname], taxpayers often have questions about Individual Retirement Arrangements or IRAs.

Common questions include: When can a person contribute, how does an IRA impact taxes, and what are other common rules.


If you have questions, here's what you need to know:

Age Rules. Taxpayers must be under age 70 1/2 at the end of the tax year to contribute to a traditional IRA. There is no age limit to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Compensation Rules. A taxpayer must have taxable compensation to contribute to an IRA. This includes income from wages and salaries and net self-employment income. It also includes tips, commissions, bonuses and alimony. If a taxpayer is married and files a joint tax return, only one spouse needs to have compensation in most cases.

When to Contribute. Taxpayers may contribute to an IRA at any time during the year. To count for 2016, a person must contribute by the due date of their tax return. This does not include extensions. This means most people must contribute by April 18, 2017. Taxpayers who contribute between January 1 and April 18 need to advise the plan sponsor of year they wish to apply the contribution (2016 or 2017).

Contribution Limits. Generally, the most a taxpayer can contribute to their IRA for 2016 is the smaller of either their taxable compensation for the year or $5,500. If the taxpayer is 50 or older at the end of 2016, the maximum amount they may contribute increases to $6,500. If a person contributes more than these limits, an additional tax will apply. The additional tax is six percent of the excess amount contributed that is in their account at the end of the year.

Taxability Rules. Normally taxpayers don't pay income tax on funds in a traditional IRA until they start taking distributions from it. Qualified distributions from a Roth IRA are tax-free.

Deductibility Rules. Taxpayers may be able to deduct some or all of their contributions to their traditional IRA. Please contact the office for details.

Saver's Credit. A taxpayer who contributes to an IRA may also qualify for the Saver's Credit. It can reduce a person's taxes up to $2,000 if they file a joint return. Use Form 8880, Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions, to claim the credit. A taxpayer may file either Form 1040A or 1040 to claim the Saver's Credit.

Rollovers of Retirement Plan and IRA Distributions. When taxpayers roll over a retirement plan distribution, they generally don't pay tax on it until they withdraw it from the new plan. If they don't roll over their distribution, it will be taxable (other than qualified Roth distributions and any amounts already taxed). The payment may also be subject to additional tax unless the taxpayer is eligible for one of the exceptions to the 10 percent additional tax on early distributions.

myRA. If a taxpayer's employer does not offer a retirement plan, they may want to consider a myRA. This is a retirement savings plan offered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. It's safe and affordable. Taxpayers may also direct deposit their entire refund or a portion of it into an existing myRA.

Keep a copy of your tax return. Beginning in 2017, you may need your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) amount from a prior-year tax return to verify your identity. You can find your AGI on line 37 of your 2015 tax return. If you don't have a copy of your tax return and you need assistance obtaining a copy of last year's tax return, don't hesitate to call.


If you have any questions about IRAs and your tax return for 2016 (business or personal), don't hesitate to call the office.  Help is just a phone call away at (480) 641-8100. Remember you can also call our offices if you have any questions about these or any other accounting, tax, financial planning, payroll, cash flow or insurance related issues.

Regards, Jeanine Taylor, Partner

CFO Financial Services LLC


Would You Do Me A Quick Favor And Give Me An Online REVIEW on Google+ Local?

If you are a local business like I am, more and more people FIND you by going online and searching. 


To help me be found the same way by good customers like you would you take 2 minutes and give me a Review on my Google+ Local listing?


Just click here and it will take you to my Write a Review box where you can write your Review.  Thank you in advance for your help! 

If you have any questions about giving us a Review or have an accounting or related question about yourself or your business, please give me a call at 480-641-8100.  I can help guide you in the right direction.


"Review" us on our Facebook FAN Page


We are posting new business information periodically on our business/fan page for our business.


If you want updates on tax or related subjects, click on this link and LIKE our page PLUS we'd love for you to REVIEW US on Facebook, click here to take you to the Review page so you can write a review!

We'll post new relevant information on tax reduction, accounting & finance that you can read and comment on.


Thank you in advance for "Liking" us!





Jeanine Taylor, Partner | CFO Financial Services LLC
1405 N. Dobson Rd., Suite #5 | Chandler, AZ 85224
480-641-8100 | Fax: 480-855-0021 | |