Sullivan & Company - Certified Public Accountants 4709 Montgomery Lane #201 - Bethesda, MD, 20814 Phone: 301-657-8080




Financial Services by Sullivan & Company

Paul Sullivan, CPA

Financial services are now offered at Sullivan & Co., CPAs.  The story WHY:


You may wonder why your accounting firm wants you to invest with them. Years ago, CPAs were not allowed to venture into the investment world, but it always bothered us to see how poorly our clients were treated at their broker. It is not that the broker was not nice or attentive; it was the quality of the investments and, oftentimes, the lack of understanding for how the investments were going to affect the client in the future.


The amount of commissions and fees were oftentimes much larger than the client realized. Principles taught in universities were ignored by greedy advisors. Some forward thinking CPAs worked hard to get the accounting industry to see that we could, at the least, counsel our clients so that their investing experience was successful.


Our function is to work with you in all areas of your financial life. We prepare your tax returns and financial statements, of course, but there's a lot more decisions you make that we should be involved in. These include: succession planning for business owners such as HOW TO:

1) Sell your business

2) Retire comfortably

3) Handle your finances now that you are divorced or widowed

4) Provide for loved ones if you die

5) Pay for the education of your children

6) Determine if a trust is right for you

7) Minimize estate taxes


Worse than hearing that the IRS is going to audit is the call from a client who has plunged into an investment, whether stocks, bonds or another home without consulting us first.


Sometimes these decisions have unfortunate results and are difficult or impossible to undo. So, in response to this need, your CPA firm has well trained accountants and financial services professionals to help you navigate the financial world..

For a free review of your investments, give me a call at 301 657-8080 X 102.




Paul Sullivan, CPA

Sullivan & Company


Call our Testimonial Hotline & give us your feedback at:


800-609-9006 extension 6072

Here's an Example:



Other Articles

Click here to review

This Month's Feature Articles


- Last Minute Filing Tips for 2015 Tax Returns

- ACA Tax Facts for Individuals and Families

- Estimated Tax Payments: Q & A

- What Income is Taxable?


Tax Tips


- Ten Facts About Capital Gains and Losses

- Parents: Don't Miss Out on These Tax Savers

- Cut your Tax Bill with Home Energy Credits

- Tax Tips for the Self-Employed






Countdown to Tax Day on April 18th!

ACA Tax Facts For
Individuals & Families


The Affordable Care Act contains two provisions that may affect your tax return this year: the individual shared responsibility provision and the premium tax credit.


Here's what you should know:

INFORMATION FORMS: 1095-A, 1095-B, AND 1095-C

This year marks the first time that certain taxpayers will receive new health-care related information forms that they can use to complete their tax return and then keep with their tax records.

These forms are used to report health coverage information for you, your spouse and any dependents when you file your 2015 individual income tax return in 2016. These forms are also filed with the IRS. Depending upon your specific circumstances, (i.e. whether you receive health insurance from the Health Insurance Marketplace, health coverage providers, or certain employers), you should have received one or more of these forms in early 2016. There are three types of information forms:

Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement. The Health Insurance Marketplace sends this form to individuals who enrolled in coverage there, with information about the coverage, who was covered, and when. This is the second year in which the Marketplace is issuing Form 1095-A to enrollees. The deadline for the Marketplace to provide Form 1095-A is February 1, 2016.

Form 1095-B, Health Coverage. Health insurance providers (e.g. health insurance companies) send this form to individuals they cover, with information about who was covered and when.



Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage. Employers that offer health coverage referred to as "self-insured coverage" send this form to individuals they cover, with information about who was covered and when. The deadline for coverage providers to provide Forms 1095-B and employers to provide Form 1095-C is March 31, 2016.

Some taxpayers may not have received a Form 1095-B or Form 1095-C by the time they are ready to file their 2015 tax return. It is not necessary to wait for Forms 1095-B or 1095-C in order to file. Taxpayers may instead rely on other information about their health coverage and employer offer to prepare their returns.

Note: These new forms should not be attached to your income tax return.


The individual shared responsibility provision requires everyone on your tax return (you, your spouse, and dependents) to have qualifying health care coverage for each month of the year or have a coverage exemption. Otherwise, you may be required to make an individual shared responsibility payment.

The key elements of the individual shared responsibility provision are as follows:

If you maintain qualifying healthcare coverage for the entire year, you don't need to do anything more than report that coverage on your federal income tax return by simply checking a box. Qualifying coverage includes most employer-sponsored coverage, coverage obtained through a Health Insurance Marketplace, coverage through most government-sponsored programs, as well as certain other specified health plans.

If you go without coverage or experience a gap in coverage, you may qualify for an exemption from the requirement to have coverage (see below). If you qualify for an exemption, use Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, to report a coverage exemption granted by the Marketplace or to claim a coverage exemption on your tax return.

If for any month during the year you don't have qualifying coverage and you don't qualify for an exemption, you will have to make an individual shared responsibility payment when you file your federal income tax return.

The payment amount for 2015 is the greater of 2 percent of the household income above the taxpayer's filing threshold, or $325 per adult plus $162.50 per child (limited to a family maximum of $975). This payment is capped at the cost of the national average premium for a bronze level health plan available through Marketplaces that would provide coverage for the taxpayer's family members that neither had qualifying coverage nor qualify for a coverage exemption.
The instructions for Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, provide the information needed to calculate the payment that will be reported on your federal income tax return.

DID YOU KNOW that Sullivan & Company manages Pension Funds, Retirement Plans & Taxable Accounts through Archer Investment Corporation & Fidelity Investments for our clients.
Fidelity is the custodian for more retirement plans than any other custodian in the United States.

Let Sullivan & Company Analyze Your Asset Allocation & Risk Tolerance for FREE!
Call 301-657-8080 today!


Individuals who go without coverage or experience a gap in coverage may qualify for an exemption from the requirement to have coverage.

You may qualify for an exemption if one of the following applies:
 - You do not have access to affordable coverage
 - You have a one-time gap of less than three consecutive months without coverage
 - You qualify for one of several other exemptions, including a hardship exemption


How you get an exemption depends on the type of exemption. You can obtain some exemptions only from the Marketplace in the area where you live, others only from the IRS when filing your income tax return, and others from either the Marketplace or the IRS.

If you qualify for an exemption, you use Form 8965 to report a coverage exemption granted by the Marketplace or to claim a coverage exemption on your tax return.


The premium tax credit (PTC) is a credit that helps eligible individuals and families with low or moderate income afford health insurance purchased through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Claiming the premium tax credit may increase your refund or lower the amount of tax that you would otherwise owe.

If you did not get advance credit payments in 2015, you can claim the full benefit of the premium tax credit that you are allowed when you file your tax return. You must file Form 8962 to claim the PTC on your tax return.


Please call the office if you would like more information about the premium tax credit or the individual shared responsibility payment. Help is just a phone call away at 301-657-8080.


    Financial Services at Sullivan & Co. CPAs

Paul Sullivan leads our Financial Services Division and is here to help you navigate your financial future. As an Investment Advisor Representative, he is able to provide an independent opinion on the investments you already own or are considering buying.


We can structure a portfolio based on your risk tolerance or we can help you decide how to invest in your company 401(k) plan. We work with each client to identify their concerns and to provide solutions according to their situation.

Paul is also experienced in company retirement plans. If you own a business that does not have a plan; we can discuss your options and set up a plan that fits your company.


If your business already has a plan; we offer a free evaluation of the plan to ensure that it is up to date and working well for you and your employees.

Our goal is to provide personal, unbiased and independent advice to help you make well-informed decisions about your financial life and investments.

Contact Paul Sullivan or Jordana Para to set up a free initial consultation (301) 657-8080.

And as always if you have any questions about accounting or investments and how they effect you or your business, please give us a call. We can help guide you in the right direction.



Remember you can call our offices if you have any questions about these or any other accounting, tax, financial planning or insurance related issues, at 301-657-8080. 


Regards, Paul Sullivan, CPA

President, Sullivan & Company





Sullivan & Company, CPAs | 4709 Montgomery Lane | Bethesda, MD 20814 | email: | Connect With Me on Linkedin

Direct: 240-316-3531 | Main no.: 301-657-8080 Ext 102 | Fax: 301-657-9055